Thursday, July 2, 2009

Life of a Seafearer

hi............., let me introduce my self,
I'm PRABATH FERNANDO( that's what my colleagues who works with me call), but all my school friends and people who knows me since my childhood call me ESITH. 'COS my full name is ESITH PRABATH FERNANDO. Pls don't worry about that you can call me in any way you like.

Currently I'm working as Navigation Officer or simply a SAILOR.........My job is to manoeuvre a ship from one place to the other. That's what we called Navigation in simple.

Navigation at sea is a field that people like to do as a leisure but mostly not as a carrier. With my experiences I know it's a unique and really difficult to explain to another.

Life at sea is a unique existence. Whilst seafarers come from all over the world, from different cultures and backgrounds, and work in diverse areas of the shipping industry, they share many common experiences.

During my vacation days ashore, many friends have asked me what life is like aboard ship. It is a good question, especially for a prospective passenger. It isn't an easy one to answer, either. Much of your experience aboard ship depends upon your temperament, and your situation in life. Are you a person who doesn't mind being alone, or do you need company? If you have some free time, would you like to read a book or to have a party? Are you single, or married with children? No matter what your answers to these questions are, you may or may not enjoy going to sea, but they do have an effect on the type of ship and type of voyage

Some people choose to work at sea because it gives them a chance to travel or because they like the way they can get responsible jobs relatively early in their careers(that's me...). But for others, it may be the only way they can earn a wage to support themselves and their families.I'm a lucky guy who have travelled in many parts of the world, worked with different nationalities..... my cost? nothing( may be the taxi fees)

Working ashore or at sea – difference is not much so far as the working conditions and hours at duty are concerned, especially if one is employed in transportation sector of which shipping is a part.When I look around at people working for different sectors related to merchant shipping ashore, they work long hours without having any regard for the so-called ‘normal’ working hours

No comments:

Post a Comment